6 Types of Fish to Avoid Eating

Seafood, no doubt, is beneficial to your health and you are encouraged to eat more of it. However, not all seafood should be eaten, as some of it is contaminated with metals, pesticides, industrial chemicals, parasites, and so on, all of which can lead to several health complications and increase the risk of certain illnesses.

Mentioned in this article are 6 types of fish that you should look out for and avoid eating.

1. Caviar

Caviar is the roe or eggs of the fish. Susceptible to over-fishing, it is threatened by an increase in dam building, which pollutes the water they live in.

2. Swordfish

The highest level of mercury can be found in swordfish, and if ingested at all, should be a serving per month for adults, following the EPA recommendations. Children, on the other hand, are not to ingest it at all.

3. Shark

Shark has a very high level of mercury, as it accumulates over time through a process known as bio-accumulation. Mercury contaminates the water and is taken up by small aquatic plants and animals. These plants and animals are then ingested by big fishes and even bigger fishes. Due to the accumulation of the mercury taken in by the big fish like shark, it is advisable not to eat shark.

4. Tilefish

Tilefish is also known to contain a high level of mercury and should be served once a month, if no other contaminated fish has been taken. However, if you really want to eat tilefish and enjoy it, you’ll have to look farther than areas where they are over-fished. The United States mid-Atlantic is a great place, as they have better fishing practices.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  Do You Want To Lose 10 Pounds In A week? Try This Simple And Effective Diet

5. Atlantic cod

Atlantic cod has been over fished, and should be totally avoided, as they have suffered massive population declines, according to chef Frankie Terzoli.

6. Escolar

This very delicious fish is also known as White Tuna, but when taken in excess, it can lead to keriorrhea (an even more unpleasant form of diarrhea) due to the presence of gempylotoxin in it. Gempylotoxin is known to be an indigestible fatty substance that gives the fish its lusciously buttery taste and texture. This same fatty substance causes intestinal problems and if you eat it at all, ensure you take in only a little quantity.

Before you buy fish in the market, it is important that you know exactly what you are purchasing. Always read the label and ask questions, especially if it is a fish that is strange to you.

Image courtesy of: ichtios.ge, kimthompsonartist.com, graytaxidermy.com, kingsailfishmounts.com, cfeed.no.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *