The Best Foods And Liquids to Hydrate Your Body

Best Foods And Liquids to Hydrate your BodyWhen your body doesn’t have as much fluid as it needs, then you’re dehydrated. The daily recommended fluid intake to prevent dehydration is 10 to 15 8-ounce glasses. The food we eat gives out body 20% of the water we contain and the remaining 80% is all fluids, mainly water. Here’s what you need for a healthy, hydrated body.

Water

Naturally, water is simply the best way to hydration. And the plus side is, it’s calorie free, which cannot be said for all the high calorie drinks. It’s also affordable and convenient. To up your daily water intake drinking 8 glasses of water a day is recommended (the first glass being right after you wake up, and the last right before bed). Be sure to have a water bottle filled with water with you throughout the day.

Fruits and Veggies

Juices are high in calories and low in fiber. Grapefruits, strawberries, watermelon, cauliflower, tomatoes, broccoli and cucumbers all consist of more than 90 percent water. To get all of the benefits of whole fruits and vegetables in a drink, make a smoothie by blending low-fat milk or water with whole fruits and vegetables.

Low-Fat Milks

Milk is known to be very rich in calcium and vitamin D (both of which are very good for you). Incorporate 2 cups of low-fat dairy or nondairy milk into your daily diet as part of your fluid intake. With a carbohydrate-to-protein ratio similar to sports recovery drinks, chocolate milk consumed immediately after exercise and again two hours later seems to enhance recovery and prevent muscle damage.

Broth-Based Soups

One of the best and easy ways to make soup flavourful is by using Broth (which is seasoned water), which also means it’s super hydrated. Replenish lost fluid and sodium after vomiting with a bowl of chicken broth. If you aren’t lacking sodium, stick to low-sodium canned soups or make your own with minimal salt. One cup of canned soup contains 600 to 1,300 milligrams of sodium. A healthy adult’s daily limit is 2,000 milligrams.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *