Your diet can never be complete without having protein as a part of it. This is because the protein aids in the building of muscles and replacing damaged cells. It is even good for strengthening your bones so that you do not suffer from any kinds of bone problems.
People are usually taking protein supplements, mainly whey supplements. Drinking it might be boring or not really attractive to your kids or even for yourself. Hence, sometimes for variety’s sake, you can take a whey protein bar. Homemade whey protein bars are very delicious and the expense is not back-breaking and is healthy at the same time. Here is how to make a Vanilla Protein Bar with Vegan Caramel.
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- A tablespoon of wheat germ
- 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cups of coconut milk
- Chopped almonds
- 4 dry chopped prunes
- 1/4 cups of chopped Craisins
- 3 tablespoons of dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of coconut flakes
- 1/2 a cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of coconut cream
How It Is Done
- Put your oats, wheat germ and vanilla protein powder into a food processor and blend them all together. Add your ¼ cup of coconut milk to your blended mixture. Note that you are free to add 2 more tablespoons of the coconut milk if the mixture is still loose.
- After your mixture is sticky and dense, then fill in an 8–inch square baking dish.
- Take a separate bowl and put your almonds and the other dried fruits. Craisins and chocolate with your toasted coconut. Sprinkle the mix all over the protein bar.
- For your caramel sauce, put in a small sauce pan to cook, your ½ cup of sugar till it becomes bubbly. When the sugar starts to change to a slightly golden color, add your 3 tablespoons of coconut cream. Whisk the mixture properly and then pour immediately onto the protein bar. After this, you can allow the caramel to set. You can then put it in the refrigerator for some hours. Once the protein bar has set and is hard in the refrigerator, you can come and cut the bar into your preferred portion sizes.
Note that beforehand, you must chill some coconut milk and scoop the cream from the top and keep for the caramel. The plus side to this bar, is that it is a vegetarian-friendly protein bar.
Image courtesy of: livingthegourmet.com.