Chicken soup is not only for the flu-infected! You too can enjoy this nutritious dish any time, any day and here is one of my favorite recipes for thick and creamy soup which can be enjoyed with warm, toasted bread.
What you need
1 full chicken (any kind will do); pumpkin (as much as you want); coconut milk & cream; black-pepper; tomatoes; garlic; onions/shallots; cayenne pepper; sea salt; thyme (optional); mixed vegetables (of your choosing); carrots; parsley.
- Marinate the chicken overnight for maximum flavor.
- With the skin still on (if you want), pack as much seasoning under the skin. For seasoning, use some ground black-pepper, sea salt and garlic.
- If you prefer the chicken with the skin off, simply make cuts on the flesh to stuff the seasoning in. Let the meat sit for 20 minutes or longer in a pot. Remember to always work with ice, cold meat.
- While the chicken is resting, prepare the other ingredients.
- Peel and slice the onions, carrots, pumpkins, garlic and any other veggies you wish to add to the pot.
- Fry them lightly in a skillet for 10 minutes & then pop it into the oven to roast for 30 minutes.
- Now, fry the chicken until it looks golden brown, then pour a liter of water in the pot, and cover it, on medium heat. Add a teaspoon of salt and black-pepper in the pot just before covering it up.
- It is now time to check the veggies in the oven. Poke them with a fork. If it goes in and comes out clean, then they are ready.
- Gently and carefully, pour the roasted veggies into a blender and blend till smooth. Don’t panic if you don’t have a blender; simply mash them in the skillet they were roasting in. Don’t worry about the consistency; you’ll take care of that later.
- At this point in time, pour all the veggies into the pot. Stir without damaging the chicken and check the flavor. Adjust accordingly.
- Once the chicken is done, add the other ingredients. Add the coconut milk, keep the cream for later. Let simmer on low heat till you can see the joints pulling away from the body.
- Check the taste once more and adjust if you feel the need for it.
- Turn the stove off and open the cover slightly to allow the steam out.
- Serve with diced apple, coconut cream and toasted bread if you so desire.
image couresy: huffingtonpost.ca, bethbee.com.