Neck pain can be relieved in just 3 to 5 days if the condition is not very serious. Neck pain can occur because of bad sleeping postures or too much concentration either while lowering your head to study or while watching a movie for long hours. Neck pain can stay longer if one has an injury from a fall, whiplash or contact sport, or from any other accident. If this is the case, it can take time to heal.
But some pains from bad posture can be relieved in just a few days. Constant neck pain can be as a result of aging, swelling of the joints, trauma, muscle pain, neck stiffness, tumor, spine cancer and meningitis (an inflammation of tissues surrounding the brain and the spinal cord).
1. Common causes of neck pain
Injury is the most common cause for neck pain. If the neck gets injured or fractured especially from car accidents, sports and falls, the spinal cord may also get affected or damaged. This kind of injury can be very severe. One must see a doctor to get adequate treatment.
Neck pain may also be a symptom of heart attack. If you are suffering from neck pain along with other symptoms like sweating, vomiting, arm or jaw pain and short breath, it can be a heart attack. You must see a doctor immediately.
2. Consult your doctor if these symptoms persist for more than a week
- A lump in your neck
- If you have constant fever
- Headaches and vomiting
- Pain in your arms and legs
- If there is trouble breathing or swallowing
- Numbness and weakness
- Severe neck pain without any apparent cause
- Pain causing inability to touch the chin and chest
3. Easy ways to fight neck pain at home
- Improve your posture
- Do neck exercise daily by stretching your neck slowly.
- Get special neck pillows for sleeping.
- Limit activities that aggravate neck pain, such as heavy lifting.
- Get a massage.
- Avoid placing your neck on one spot for a long time.
Image courtesy of: mymelbournechiropractor.com.