Snoring can happen to anybody, it is not fair to associate it with some fat guy down the street. It affects everybody and can happen when an individual is taking a nap or sleeping for either long or short hours. Snoring can be very annoying. It happens when the harsh sound pierces out with the intense vibration from an individual’s soft palate.
Taking note of a person’s snoring patterns can really help pinpoint reasons of snoring. It also helps to find out how to stop it or what makes it worse. With the help of a sleep diary one can achieve this easily. You can also set up a recorder to monitor snoring patterns.
1. Common causes of snoring
There can be different causes of snoring. It could be due to different sleeping postures or a specific sleeping position. Snoring when sleeping may be from too much tiredness and when one feels exhausted. In this case one may have to watch his daily activities and set them right.
Snoring occurs when you have problems with your nasal and sinus. It also depends on one’s age and weight.
Smoking, alcohol and taking medication might also cause snoring.
Open-mouth snoring may be as result of having some problem with the tongue. Whereas, closed-mouth snoring may be related to the tissues of one’s throat.
2. How to stop snoring?
• Lose weight: Burning a bit of fat every day can really help you to stop snoring.
• Stop smoking: A person who smokes may have high chances of harsh air breathing out that may cause him to snore.
• Avoid sleeping pills and alcohol: They relax the muscles in one’s throat and may possibly interfere with one’s breathing.
• Watch your diet: Research shows that intake of big meals or certain food such as soy milk before bedtime may cause one to snore.
• Exercise regularly: Exercising everyday for 5 to 10 minutes can help a person to stop snoring.
3. Medical treatment for snoring
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) enables to keep the airway open during sleep.
- Yo can undergo a surgical procedure i.e, Thermal Ablation Platatoplasty (TAP).
Image courtesy of: md-health.com.